A walk around Ford’s Colony most days tells you dropping a line into one of the 13 ponds stocked and maintained by the Homeowners’ Association has become even more popular during these stay-at-home times.
But remember, there are rules — the HOA’s, as well as those of the Va. Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries — that need to be followed for the benefit of the community. Among them:
- Everyone over 16 must have a fishing license that can be purchased at sporting goods stores or online.
- Children under 8 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Only Virginia residents may get a license, except for active military stationed in Virginia and students boarding here.
- The HOA limits fishing to catch and release at all ponds.
- Barbless hooks must be used, and only residents – or guests accompanied by a resident – may fish in a pond.
- Vehicles must be parked in the nearest cul-de-sac or side road, not on common grass area or leisure trails.
- Interior golf-course ponds are off-limits. FC Country Club courses are private property.
- And the HOA asks that you be a good neighbor by not fishing from a resident’s yard, unless invited, cleaning up around you and being kind to nearby wildlife.
#FordsColony #WilliamsburgVA #FunToFish